There are innumerable quizzes and matrixes found online to help anyone, of any fan base, determine which character they would be in the fantasy world of their choosing.  Some are based on the old school Myers Briggs personality types, others link to astrological or Chinese Zodiac signs.  It's always fun to go down those rabbit holes to explore which book, movie or gaming character most closely reflects your personality.  (Or in the case of many, many online quizzes, frustrating to have the final outcome be your least favorite character.)

It is another thing all together to be brave enough to ask you family members which character they think you would be.  Adam and I have had a version of this conversation with characters from the TV show Leverage.  One of the show's tag lines is "Hitter, Hacker, Grifter, Thief, Mastermind."  (Clearly I am the Hitter.)

I don't recall why it came up at bed time a couple of nights ago, but I somewhat randomly asked Adam, "what do they call the different character categories in (World of) Warcraft?"  The answer is "classes of characters".  So I followed with, "based on my personality, what class do you think I would be?"  Adam's facial expression clearly registered the passing thought of "this is a trap."  So I threw a few names out there, Death Knight, Blood Elf, Tank, not fully understanding that these were in fact different aspects of characterization.  His first comment was just short of a snorted, "well definitely not an elf, there is nothing stealthy about you."  

Hmmm, not sure if that lands as matter of fact observation or clever insult.  He thought for another minute or so before coming up with Warlock.  Satisfied that he answered, the conversation moved on to a new subject from there.  

Last night at dinner I posed the same question to the boys.  Comically, they both got sly grins with a look of "this could get me in trouble..."  

Noah hedged his bets and said, "I need to think about this for a minute."  Caleb on the other hand, was chewing on his pizza with a sparkle in his eye and a look of mischief.  

"I can tell you have an answer kid, spit it out, Dad already told me what his choice was."

"I don't know why I think this, but the honestly the first thing I thought was Warlock..."  Adam and I just grinned at each other and turned our attention back to Noah.  

"I don't know, I was thinking maybe Paladin or Priest.  Probably lean more toward Paladin"  Adam jumped right in to add, "but if she was a Priest, she would definitely be a Shadow Priest or Retribution Paladin though, right?"  Nodding heads of agreement confirmed this thought all around the room.  

So of course, having had my family register their opinions, it was time to look up the characteristics of these character classes in order of least to most likely according to my family... I'm not sure of I should be flattered or concerned...

2024 Follow up note: in a separate conversation they also agreed that my Dungeons & Dragons alignment would be Lawful Evil.  Interestingly, my co-worker who is deeply into such things immediately agreed saying, "oh yeah, I can definitely see that."  At least he tried to soften it with, "It doesn't mean that you are puppy killing evil though, just that you have a certain way of thinking and doing things."  Again, not sure if I should be concerns, insulted, or oddly flattered.   

PRIEST: 

Priests are cloth-wearing holy mages. Much like the Paladins, the Priests wield the Light to defend and destroy.

Holy Priests are the de facto healers, using the Light to mend allies wounds, whether it be a single target or the whole raid. Discipline Priests damage enemies to heal allies around them. Shadow Priests harness the dark powers of the void to deal sustained damage against their targets

 Priests are devoted to the spiritual, and express their unwavering faith by serving the people. For millennia they have left behind the confines of their temples and the comfort of their shrines so they can support their allies in war-torn lands. In the midst of terrible conflict, no hero questions the value of the priestly orders. These masters of the healing arts keep their companions fighting far beyond their normal capacities with an array of restorative powers and blessings. The divine forces at the priest’s command can also be turned against foes, smiting them with holy fury.

As light cannot exist without darkness, and darkness without light, some priests tap into shadow to better understand their own abilities, as well as the abilities of those who threaten them.


pALADIN: 

Paladins are holy warriors, channeling their connection with the Light into their weapons. They’re powerful, heavy armor-wearing clerics that act more like religious knights than barbaric warriors.

Protection Paladins use the Light to defend their allies, and absorb the damage meant for their party members. Holy Paladins use the Light to heal targets close to them with big, powerful heals. Retribution Paladins use the Light to play judge, jury, and executioner with their targets, distributing holy righteousness with a two-handed sword or hammer.

 This is the call of the paladin: to protect the weak, to bring justice to the unjust, and to vanquish evil from the darkest corners of the world. These holy warriors are equipped with plate armor so they can confront the toughest of foes, and the blessing of the Light allows them to heal wounds and, in some cases, even restore life to the dead. Ready to serve, paladins can defend their allies with sword and shield, or they can wield massive two-handed weapons against their enemies. The Light grants paladins additional power against the undead and demons, ensuring that these profane beings corrupt the world no longer.

WARLOCK: 

Warlocks use dark and mysterious magic to twist the world around them. They can corrupt and destroy foes, all while summoning a massive army of demons for them to command.

Destruction Warlocks are all about hitting enemies hard with fire from range. Affliction Warlocks place damage-over-time spells on targets, creating a high maintenance, high efficiency rotation. Demonology Warlocks spawn legions of demons into the world to attack their foes for them.

 Warlocks are the most volatile and insatiable of spellcasters. Though they often pledge themselves to the service of noble causes and are not innately evil, their desire to understand darker magics and exercise unwavering command over demonic forces breeds mistrust among even their closest allies. Warlocks peer into the Void without hesitation, leveraging the chaos they glimpse within to devastating ends in battle—their greatest abilities are fueled by the souls they’ve harvested from their victims. They exploit powerful Shadow magic to manipulate and degrade the minds and bodies of their enemies. They employ Fire magic, dropping hellish rain from the sky, to immolate the opposition. They summon and command indomitable demons from the Twisting Nether to do their bidding, or even to be sacrificed as the Warlock sees fit, empowering and protecting the dark caster from harm

Comments