On chilly January day I arrived home to a package on the doorstep.  Not unusual, especially since we were gearing up for a big trip and I had been shopping.  But I wasn't expecting anything, and this was clearly different.  

Stepping through the door I yelled my hello to Adam adding, "did you order something perishable?"  His head poked around the corner like a startled gopher with wide eyes, "what makes you say that?"  "Well, there is a good sized box here addressed to you that has PERISHABLE is big letters on the sides."  "That checks out..." he quipped. 

I brought the box in setting it on the kitchen counter between us before taking off my coat and taking care of my work gear.  "Did you buy something for our anniversary?"  "Maybe," he answered in the high pitched, little kid voice that meant yes, he absolutely bought something for our anniversary.  

I didn't know whether to feel bad because I had no anniversary plans beyond getting take out, or excited because I cannot stand to have an unopened mystery box in my kitchen! 

"Can I open it?' 

"Because you can't stand to have a box in the house and you don't know what's in it?" (Busted.)

"Maybe." 

Inside the box was another box, made of thick Styrofoam.  On top of that was a receipt with a Gift Message that read: 

"Happy Anniversary. In wedding reception fashion, let's do an ice cream bar!! Love You."  

"No!"

"Maybe..."

"Did you?"

"Open it."  

He did.  My sweet sneaky husband ordered from Salt & Straw. 








Comments