Dominican Daydreams

The panoramic view from Majestic Mirage, Room 4221

 After MONTHS of holding our breaths our December 2021 Dominican Republic vacation approached with a sense of Deja vu.  The last time we traveled anywhere was February 2020 just as news of the pandemic was starting to break.  I remember having conversations then about how we could salvage the trip if air travel because a problem.  Back up plans were laid out and our "worst case scenario" at that point was driving to Disney and taking a couple of extra days off.  (That option still sounds absolutely gross.  With benefit of hindsight though...) 

Clearly the Dominican Republic (D.R.) did not allow for a driving back up plan.  We were wise enough to book everything with refundable terms, the hotel was offering something of a COVID insurance plan in case we tested positive while there, pre-flight COVID testing was being done onsite, and I laid out a little more $$ for an extra COVID insurance policy and plenty of cute face masks.  We figured there may be a few more hoops to jump through, but nothing we couldn't manage.  To hedge our bets even further we splurged on the VIP Arrival/Departure service at the Punta Cana Airport.  

About 2 weeks before we were set to leave, news broke that the latest variant (Omicron) had been identified and it was even more contagious than previous ones.  You have got to be kidding me. 

For months I had prepped for such and event, I had repeatedly said "I'll believe we are going when we are on the plane..."  All that preparation may have been the only reason I didn't completely flip my lid and call the whole thing off as breaking news alerts rolled in.  (Although it was considered)

Long story short, we got on the plane.  The VIP airport services were 100% worth it, people were actually really good about wearing masks around the resort, and thanks to our room being given away earlier in the day on check in, we ended up with arguably the best view in the resort for our 10 night stay!  Our room was actually the one shown in the resort's advertising.  


Non-stop people watching with our feet up
The well shaded balcony gave us great views and the live equivalent of reality TV all day long.  To the left was a pool bar, below us a pool that frequently hosted such activities as Try Not to Spill Your Beer Mini-Trampoline Water Aerobics & Spin Classes.  With a view of the walkway to the beach, restaurant, wedding pavilion and beach volleyball area, we literally spent hours taking in the sights with running commentary.  I'm not sure our style is more Waldorf & Stadler from The Muppets, Mystery Science Theatre, or What Not To Wear... It's probably good that no one could hear us.

The day after arrival it was announced that, regardless of vaccine status, everyone entering the US on an international flight had to show proof of a negative COVID test taken no more than 1 calendar day before their flight's departure.  Fortunately, we saw that coming and scheduled our departure tests accordingly.  With our extended stay it was easy to let go of any return flight worries until test day.  Even then we had about 3 hours of nerves before the negative tests confirmations landed in our Inbox.  

As usual, I cried on leave day (and at the weddings of strangers).  Thank goodness we had the VIP departure service at the airport!  Apparently Saturdays are the absolute WORST day there anyway, made even worst by the extra layers of documentation required for travel in the era of COVID.  The few hours between being dropped off at the airport and getting on the plane in Punta Cana were really the only stressful moments we experienced in a 2 week period.  

It really was the escape we had waited months for.  I can remember on Day 3 saying to Adam, "I don't think I really realized just how tired I was."  Now that we are home and I tested negative on my post travel mandatory COVID test for work, I can say that the time away together to rest and reconnect was absolutely worth it! 
The sunrise view from our bed



 











Comments