Coffee Conversations: "I can't believe I even have to explain this to you..."
Danielle: So I was reading about somebody who retired to an island where everyone gets around using golf carts.
Adam: Was it the "live there on $50,000 a year article?"
Danielle: You saw it too? I've looked up that island before, it seems pretty great. The only downside I can see is that there is limited medical care, so if we need anything major we would need to be medivac'd to the mainland for emergencies or come back to the states for anything non-emergent.
Adam: But they have golf carts. It's literally Golf Cart Caye.
Danielle: You like that idea better than Orlando?
Adam: Are you asking me to choose between golf cart beach life and Disney?
Danielle: I'm just throwing it out there.
(It wasn't the first time I've daydreamed about living in a different place each year for a stretch of our early retirement days.)
It was quiet for a while, but Adam could tell I was into something research related on my laptop by the look of deep thought on my face.
Adam: Whatcha doin'?
(That is always a loaded question and he usually knows the answer already.)
Danielle: So the population of Golf Cart Caye is only around 15,000, the Metro Orlando area is around 2.5 million and includes FOUR counties! That's like twice the entire population of Maine!
Adam: Isn't Maine like 13 million people?
Danielle: Is it? Maybe its the Portland area that is 1 million... hang on, I'll look it up... Nope. Google says that the Maine population in 2019 was 1.344 million.
Adam: Huh, I thought it was more than that.
Danielle: Looks like we just nudge out New Hampshire and they are like 1/3 the size of Maine area wise. Ohh! Vermont population is under 625,000. We could do well there!
Adam: Vermont? We aren't moving to Vermont.
Danielle: But you liked it when we drove through. It is even MORE rural AND liberal. Bernie Sanders is from there. That could be our spot!
Adam: We are NOT moving to Vermont. That is a net zero gain for us. We are supposed to be focusing on the warm weather spots. Anything with "Caye" in the name is the priority, not snow bound Vermont. I can't believe I even have to explain this to you...
Danielle: Soooo, we aren't targeting Orlando?
Adam: Oh we are still targeting living at Disney, I'm just saying if a discussion of alternatives is in the mix, it better have Caye in the name, or be Portuguese, and definitely NOT be Vermont.
Danielle: Fine. Well this article I'm looking at mentions some suburban neighborhoods around the Disney area. There is one called Hunter's Creek, with a condo community on "Fairway Island Drive", and a seconds that is named "Golf view."
Adam: It's a sign. We're moving.
Danielle: Drink your coffee.

Comments
Post a Comment